When an Employee Tests Positive for COVID
In this 75-minute training, you’ll learn:
Your safety obligations
Learn proper procedures from testing to tracing to hygiene.
Your legal obligations
Learn the legal way to handle situations from employee leave to vaccine decisions.
Your communication obligations
We’ll give you a sample email to send to employees after a positive test.
A step-by-step strategy to handle positive tests… plus to plan for the vaccine
Millions of Americans have tested positive for the coronavirus, so it's likely some of your employees will become infected in the coming months. One wrong move could lead to additional infections, the closing down of your operations, plus a legal and PR nightmare.
Do you know exactly how your organization MUST respond to a positive test – for safety and legal reasons? What if employees are showing mild symptoms – is it a winter cold or flu … or must the employee quarantine? Do you know what you should be doing now to plan for the coming vaccine? And how will your obligations change under the new Biden administration?
Discover an in-depth, step-by-step plan for handling a positive COVID test or an employee showing symptoms. You'll learn how to keep your employees safe from the virus while staying in compliance with all the related laws (FMLA, ADA, workers' comp, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act and more).
Agenda for When an Employee Tests Positive for COVID
- The exact steps to take when an employee tests positive
- The proper leave of absence options you'll have to provide the employee
- Your duty to conduct contact tracing to identify and isolate affected co-workers and customers
- Your recording and reporting requirements … workers' comp? OSHA? CDC? State and local health departments?
- How to communicate to employees about the positive test (we'll provide you with a legally safe sample email)
- Steps you must take to clean and disinfect your workplace after a confirmed COVID case
- How you need to plan for the coming vaccine … can you mandate it for employees (and should you)?
- How your legal and safety obligations under the new Biden administration could change
Jon Hyman is a partner in the Labor & Employment Group at Meyers, Roman, Friedberg & Lewis in Cleveland, Ohio, and the leader of the firm's Coronavirus Response Team. Jon applies his more than two decades of experience to help employers proactively solve their workplace problems. Jon serves as "outside in-house counsel" for businesses on employment law and HR issues, and defends companies in a variety of employment-law disputes in front of state and federal courts and administrative agencies. Jon is the author of the Ohio Employer Law Blog (NKA the Coronavirus Law Blog) and a national authority on employment law. He has been cited in the Wall Street Journal and MSNBC.com and appeared on Fox Business News, NPR, and Huffington Post Live.Jon Hyman Attorney and author
View a Free Clip:
Professional Certification Credit Hours Included:
This program is valid for 1.25 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
The use of this official seal confirms that this Activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
We promise you'll be satisfied.
If When an Employee Tests Positive for COVID fails to meet your needs in any way, we will refund every penny you paid – no hassles, no questions asked.