- Wednesday, May 31
- 1:00 ET
- 10:00 PT
Learning the Law: Employment Law Training for New Supervisors
From hiring to discipline to giving feedback, managers face employment law risks every day.
In this 75-minute interactive online training, your supervisors will learn how to:
Make smart (and legal) day-to-day decisions.
Gain a deeper understanding of labor-related legal issues in the workplace.
Comply with the 12 most important employment laws.
Courts expect supervisors to understand and follow the FLSA, ADA, FMLA, and more.
Avoid personal liability that hits their wallets.
It’s not just a corporate issue… certain mistakes can cost managers their personal nest eggs.
Your need-to-know legal obligations for 2023
Do your supervisors know which job interview questions are illegal? Do they know how to respond to employees’ requests for leave? Or which words in performance reviews are almost guaranteed to trigger legal disputes? Do they know how to handle reasonable accommodation requests for both disability and religion? And what about the brand-new federal laws that require reasonable accommodations for pregnant workers and unlimited breaks to express milk? These brand-new laws are going to create headaches for your supervisors and managers. There are serious penalties for supervisors who don’t allow breaks or accommodations.
Their lack of basic employment law knowledge is putting your organization (and your HR reputation) at a major risk.
On May 31, gather your management team for this comprehensive training on how to manage employees in the most legally safe way. The newly updated Learning the Law webinar is the perfect way to help supervisors understand that their actions can inadvertently support lawsuits against your organization—and possibly against supervisors (or you) personally.
Bonus: If your organization does get sued, the court will ask if you’ve ever trained managers on their legal responsibilities. This simple 75-minute training is a good-faith defense that your HR department has done its part.
Agenda for Learning the Law
- Legally safe decision making. Arm your managers with the knowledge to make sound, legal decisions at every turn.
- The 12 “must understand“ laws. We’ll review the top 12 employment laws (in plain English!) and how managers can do their part to stay in compliance.
- Timely new requirements. From social media to hairstyle discrimination and diversity to rules that every manager must follow.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding. Make absolutely sure employees are getting the accommodations and breaks they are entitled to or your organization may become the first test case.
- Hiring and firing. Learn the legal way to conduct these litigation triggers.
- Performance reviews and communications. From casual conversations to reviewing documentation, learn what to say and what to NEVER say.
- Personal liability. Yes, managers can get sued personally. Find out how to avoid this worst-case scenario.
- Manage difficult situations. From accommodation requests to long-term leave, learn how managers should react to these legal curveballs.
- Handling “invisible” workers. Remote employees carry a whole new set of legal risks that managers need to understand.
Interactive Q&A time included
Employment law is confusing. Ask our expert attorney during the Q&A period.
Anniken Davenport is a noted employment law attorney and the editor of the HR Specialist: Employment Law newsletter series. She has authored several books, including Bullet-Proof Your Employee Handbook and Overtime & Other Tricky Pay Issues, published by HR Specialist. She is a co-author of the upcoming Labor & Employment Law for the 21st Century by Prentice Hall. Anniken has served as a professor at Penn State University, where she taught business law and HR management, and she directed the Legal Studies Program at Wilson College. Her legal career includes representing government units in discrimination and other employment law cases and representing school districts in labor negotiations.Anniken Davenport Attorney and author
Professional Certification Credit Hours Included With This Webinar
Business Management Daily is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDC) for SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® recertification activities.
The use of this official seal confirms that this Activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
Register now and receive these free bonuses!
Lessons from Leaders
Despite companies generally no longer existing in pandemic-caused crisis mode, 2022 still presented its share of challenges. From labor shortages and supply chain issues to quiet quitting and employee demands for better work-life balance, “business as usual” never returned to many places (and may never do so). The Lessons from Leaders white paper outlines key takeaways from 2022 and how to drive success in 2023.
4 free issues of The HR Weekly
You'll also receive one month of exclusive access to The HR Weekly – our comprehensive service with all the HR advice and compliance tools to simplify your job … and to keep your organization out of court. So that you continue to benefit from The HR Weekly, we will continue your subscription after that for the then current rate, unless you tell us "no, thanks" – your choice.
We promise you'll be satisfied.
If Learning the Law fails to meet your needs in any way, we will refund 100% of your tuition – every penny you paid – but your course materials and registration bonuses will be yours to keep. No hassles, no questions asked.