The Employee Leave Workshop: Successfully Managing Difficult Situations
What single employee issue do you deal with most often at work?
You probably spend a huge chunk of your time navigating the complex and inconsistent array of laws and policies that come into play when employees take leave or have attendance problems.
One simple HR or management mistake can create an angry employee, a career black eye … and a million-dollar lawsuit. The stakes have never been higher.
Stop wondering if you're making all the right decisions and start managing employee leave with confidence.
This session (updated for the new 2020 laws) will teach you how to handle the most challenging leave requests that can simultaneously require compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act and other laws, such as pregnancy bias and workers' compensation laws.
You will learn:
- When you're required to offer job-protected leave under the FMLA and ADA
- What to do when these laws overlap with each other (and with your time-off policies)
- When you must provide leave as a medical accommodation
- What leave is considered "reasonable" under the law – and what's an "undue hardship"
- A five-step roadmap for evaluating leave requests to determine which laws apply
- The red flags of leave abuse – and how to respond
- How to manage return-to-work issues after injury or sickness (light duty? transfer? intermittent leave?)
- How the ever-growing list of state and local leave laws impacts your decisions
- What to do when an employee's leave time has been exhausted
Using real-life scenarios, attorney Theresa Parish will guide you through the practical steps for fielding the most complex leave requests, managing the time off and preventing abuse.
Stop feeling stuck between letting absences spiral out of control and worrying about triggering lawsuits by improperly denying leave. Take control of your employee leave compliance, and get your copy of The Employee Leave Workshop now.
Pat DiDomenico, Editorial Director
P.S. Your satisfaction is unconditionally guaranteed. If The Employee Leave Workshop fails to meet your needs, we will refund every penny you paid – no hassles, no questions asked.
The Employee Leave Workshop
About Your Speaker:
Lara de Leon is a partner with the employment law firm Constangy, Brooks, Smith & Prophete. Her extensive legal career has involved representing companies of all sizes, across many industries, in all aspects of employment law. Lara has successfully defended clients in the courtroom, before administrative agencies, and on appeal. In addition to litigation, Lara has spent her two-plus decades of experience partnering with clients to counsel them through complex issues involving discrimination, retaliation, accommodation, and wage and hour compliance. Lara has also developed a passion for guiding clients through high-stakes matters involving pay equity, harassment, leave of absence and accommodations. Lara is licensed in both California and Texas, and is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
The use of this official seal confirms that this Activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.