Use this webinar as a checklist to make sure your withholding practices are in total compliance. You will learn answers to questions like:
- Are all those W-4s still valid? To prevent IRS scrutiny and penalties, learn the three circumstances that require employees to absolutely file new W-4s. Plus, discover the five situations in which you should immediately reject a W-4, and what to do when the IRS sends you a letter voiding an employee's W-4.
- Are your withholding processes correct? Computer programs and outside vendors are only as good as the data you've supplied. Best practice: Figure your own withholding at least once a year. We'll decipher the IRS' step-by-step instructions that will allow you do just that. Alert: Want to sue your payroll software company if they make a mistake? A federal court recently said "No." We'll discuss this critical case and the two simple steps to avoid a similar calamity.
- How do we handle supplemental pay? You'll also be able to spot the 12 different types of supplemental pay (including noncash payments) and to apply the seven key rules for withholding on supplemental pay – even signing bonuses paid to employees who have yet to work one day.
- How do we handle garnishment orders? From child-support withholding to tax levies, learn the five types of garnishment orders and how to administer them. What if an employee is subject to more than one garnishment? Discover the priority rules and how federal and state law fit together (and what to do when they conflict).
- We use independent contractors, so no withholding, right? That's correct … most of the time. Discover the four types of business organizations that can land you in the IRS' backup withholding program – and the three crucial steps to avoid personal liability for failing to withhold.
Plus, get answers to your own personal withholding questions from Alice Gilman, editor of Payroll Legal Alert, a true payroll expert!
If your withholding process was on "autopilot" before tax reform, it's time to take back control. Worse: You're likely just repeating the same mistakes every two weeks. And even if you farm out payroll to a third party, the IRS will always hold YOU responsible for any mistakes.
Spend 75 minutes now to do a thorough check-up of your withholding compliance. You could save yourself thousands of dollars in taxes and penalties – and a career black eye.
Join Alice and your HR peers on January 11 for this important and timely webinar!
Pat DiDomenico, Editorial Director
Payroll Legal Alert
P.S. Registration Bonuses. Everyone who signs up will receive a downloadable copy of Employee Expense Reimbursements, our Special Report that helps you minimize taxes while compensating employees correctly. Plus, you'll receive our 2019 Payroll Checklist, a handy 15-page, step-by-step compliance guide that notifies you of all the deadlines required for every pay period, month and calendar quarter of 2019.
P.P.S. Extra Added Bonus. You'll also get a full month of access to PayrollLegalAlert.com – our exclusive, members-only website. Our helpful articles, forms, tables and charts will help you improve every aspect of your payroll operation – and your website also includes the comprehensive Payroll Compliance Handbook. So that you continue to benefit from PayrollLegalAlert.com, we'll continue your access automatically for just $89 per quarter, until you tell us "no, thanks" – your choice.
P.P.P.S. We promise you'll be satisfied. If Payroll Withholding: Legal Compliance and Best Practices for 2019 fails to meet your needs in any way, we will refund 100% of your tuition – every penny you paid – but your bonus reports and website access will be yours to keep. No hassles, no questions asked.