Top 10 Payroll Mistakes of 2021:
How to Prevent, How to Fix
In this 75-minute training, you will learn how to:
Identify this year’s top payroll mistakes that are leaving companies vulnerable to big fines and penalties.
Prevent those career-crushing errors with smart changes to your policies and procedures.
Comply with every payroll requirement, including the pandemic-related changes made in 2020 and 2021.
To err is human … but the DOL and IRS are NOT the forgiving type
Payroll was already confusing. Then all those pandemic law changes added a messy new layer of complexity. This means your payroll department is more vulnerable to errors that trigger expensive audits, fines and penalties. Even the best payroll professionals can stumble under a deluge of rules, regulations and sudden changes.
This timely new session will review the 10 areas within payroll that are triggering the most mistakes and audits in 2021 from both the IRS and Departments of Labor (on the federal and state level). You’ll receive detailed advice on how to stay in compliance with each area, and discover areas of noncompliance that you haven’t even thought about.
If you want to ensure compliance in 2021, this webinar recording provides the necessary training and tools for your payroll, HR or accounting departments.
Agenda for Top 10 Payroll Mistakes of 2021
- Worker misclassification errors. The DOL is cracking down on companies that misclassify employees as independent contractors.
- Properly calculating overtime. Who is eligible? How do you figure the regular rate?
- Overpayment corrections, including FLSA, taxation, vacation day, state issues and docking.
- Timing of payments. State law compliance and how fast to correct pay errors.
- Termination pay. How quickly must you pay it … and must it include PTO, severance, deferred comp, etc.?
- Proper state taxation. Nexus and domicile knowledge are essential in today’s telework world.
- Taxing fringe benefits. What’s taxable to employees and what’s not? How do you establish FMV? When do you withhold?
- Reimbursements & documentation. What do you repay? How do you document it? New pandemic responsibilities.
- Proper processing of garnishments. Employers can be liable for the entire garnishment if it isn’t processed on time.
- SUI tax practices. How to determine state tax liability, credits and new law changes.
- Pandemic changes to payroll. Keep ahead of all the fast-moving pandemic-related changes to your payroll responsibilities.
Dayna Reum, CPP, is a nationally known trainer on payroll issues and has been a leader in payroll departments at several organizations, including PetSmart, Safeway and Honeywell. She currently serves as the director of payroll at the Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago. Dayna also serves on the National American Payroll Association’s National Strategic Leadership Task Force. She is well known for her dynamic presentations and real-world payroll expertise.Dayna Reum Certified Payroll Professional
View a free clip:
Professional Certification Credit Hours Included:
This program is valid for 1.25 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
The use of this official seal confirms that this Activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
We promise you'll be satisfied.
If Top 10 Payroll Mistakes of 2021 fails to meet your needs, we will refund every penny you paid – no hassles, no questions asked.