IRS Payroll Audits:
How to Prevent, Prepare & Come Out Alive
In this 75-minute training, you will learn:
How to audit-proof your payroll records.
Clean, correct and traceable records are essential for every payroll department.
What the IRS will look for.
The IRS takes an expansive view of “books.” Find out what they’ll dig into.
How to develop a winning audit strategy.
You can control the scope and pace of an audit more than you think.
It’s every payroll professional’s nightmare … but it CAN be avoided
You may have heard that IRS audit rates are down. But that’s not the case with payroll tax audits. The reason: More than 75% of the federal government’s daily operating revenue comes from payroll taxes. And the Biden Administration has announced big plans to ramp up IRS auditing and enforcement.
One simple mistake by HR or payroll can trigger an IRS audit that is enormously expensive—in terms of dollars and your career. Yet most companies have no idea what the IRS is looking for … or which red flags are currently in their own books.
Learn the steps you should be taking now to sidestep unwanted attention from the IRS. Discover how an audit can begin, what the IRS is looking for these days and the do’s and don’ts to survive any flavor of audit. This information is critical for any payroll department.
Agenda for IRS Payroll Audits
- The most common compliance mistakes that will trigger a payroll audit—and how you can avoid them
- Key pieces of recent tax reforms that opened new areas of inquiry
- Handy tools for assessing your payroll-audit exposure before an auditor sets foot in your door (they’re in your hands now!)
- 3 payroll tax issues that every audit covers as a matter of routine
- Surprisingly common errors that are sure-fire audit bait
- When to bring in legal representation—and why it’s not smart to hold the audit in your attorney’s or accountant’s office
- Special executive perks? They’re probably taxable and the IRS knows where to look
- How the IRS’ recent round of intensive NRP payroll audits will affect your next audit
- 7 stress-reducing do's and don'ts to survive any audit.
Alice Gilman, Esq., is an expert in payroll and tax compliance who has covered payroll issues for more than 26 years. She's written and edited several leading payroll publications, including Payroll Legal Alert, the Research Institute of America's Payroll Guide, the American Payroll Association's Basic Guide to Payroll and the Payroll Manager's Letter.Alice Gilman esquire and author
View a free clip:
Professional Certification Credit Hours Included
This program is valid for 1.25 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
The use of this official seal confirms that this Activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
We promise you'll be satisfied.
If IRS Payroll Audits fails to meet your needs, we will refund every penny you paid – no hassles, no questions asked.